Making good decisions about urban traffic relies on actual data about roads, intersections, and bike paths throughout the city. When you think about traffic counting, what comes to your mind? Probably traffic counting students, who manually count cars while standing on the side of the road. Although this practice is well-known, decisions based on this information are not holistic and sustainable since urban traffic is complex. For instance, it’s nearly impossible to manually track directions of vehicles on intersections. Wouldn’t it be great to have such information?
Now, you can implement a new generation of sensors with the Swarm Perception Box to collect reliable traffic data, not only about a few key intersections but about the whole city! Of course, it is also possible to upgrade your existing traffic cameras super easily. The Swarm Perception Box makes it possible to collect traffic data in real-time, 365 days a year, to recognize traffic patterns and trends accurately. For instance, vehicles, pedestrians, and bikes can be counted and tracked simultaneously across intersections, sidewalks, and bike paths. Also, the directions of road users can be recognized by using defined entry-exit zones.
Let’s take a real-life example to show how these new traffic insights can help at intersections. A typical intersection has four entries and exits. The goal here is to identify the most frequent directions or patterns of usage, which could be a high traffic volume from street C to street A in the morning and high traffic volume from street A to street C in the evening. Around noon you have a peak of pedestrians walking from B to D and then back again.
These gained insights can be used to make traffic flows in cities more efficient and smooth while reducing noise and air pollution. Further examples of using the data are:
- Identifying road usage patterns and frequently used directions throughout the day
- Adjusting traffic light systems to typical road usage
- Taking it as a reliable source for urban planning
- Comparing traffic volumes of different roads and intersections
- Comparing and monitoring road usage over time
In the Swarm Control Center, the devices can be managed centrally and configured in minutes. With a few clicks, you can define what data is collected by creating new entry-exit-zones (as shown in the picture above: Street A, Street B, etc. ). This ensures that the gathered data meets your needs and expectations, enabling you to gain insights, analyze, and compare traffic.
Benefits at a Glance
- Easy configuration of entry-exit-zones in the Swarm Control Center
- Gathering of data on entry-exit-zones, taking into account multiple areas (Street A, B, C, D, etc. )
- 24/7 real-time data on traffic flow
- Possibility to improve traffic flow and create efficiencies based on the data
- Possibility to reduce air pollution and waiting times